Skip to main content

John Wall isn't a fan of college basketball's eligibility rules: 'I don’t like it, to be honest'

Zack Geogheganby: Zack Geoghegan01/29/26ZGeogheganKSR

The current landscape of college basketball (most recently involving the Charles Bediako situation at Alabama) has people up in arms — and that includes John Wall.

For those unfamiliar with the latest story, Bediako spent two seasons at Alabama from 2021-23, starting 67 of the 70 games he appeared in for the Crimson Tide. Following the 2022-23 campaign, Bediako declared for the 2023 NBA Draft but went unselected. The seven-footer later signed a two-way contract (which the NCAA has said cannot happen if someone wants to play college basketball) and spent the next two seasons playing in the NBA’s G League.

Now 23 years old, Bediako began looking for a way back to Tuscaloosa after a handful of former G League players were deemed eligible to return to college. The main difference between those players and Bediako, however, was the fact that he signed an official NBA contract. But a temporary restraining order granted by a Tuscaloosa County judge last week allowed Bediako to join the Crimson Tide immediately. Bediako is averaging 13.5 points and 4.5 rebounds per outing in his two games played so far this season.

Former professionals returning to college basketball is now becoming a growing trend, one that could continue to snowball if new rules are not put in place. High-profile coaches from across the country have come out against it, including Kentucky head coach Mark Pope. Former UK head coach John Calipari has also done the same, and one of his former players is now following suit, as well.

In an interview with Front Office Sports that was published on Wednesday morning, Wall, who is now an analyst for Amazon Prime Video, touched on a variety of topics, including playing through injuries in the NBA and his relationship with the Washington Wizards. He was also asked about his thoughts on the current landscape of college hoops.

I don’t like it, to be honest,” Wall said.

In his interview with Colin Salao, Wall explained that the NBA Draft process and Combine currently allow players to return to college. “I think that’s already enough,” Wall said. “Because when we declared it wasn’t no coming back. You gone.”

Wall also mentioned the idea that fewer high school players will have spots on college rosters if older players continue to make their way back to college, adding that some of these older players have real experience being in the G League, “that’s like playing in the NBA,” Wall continued. “You’re getting reps, you understand what goes on.”

As someone who went No. 1 overall in the 2010 NBA Draft, Wall’s situation is obviously different than Bediako’s. But he’s still someone who doesn’t want to see college basketball continue down the current path it appears to be on.

Discuss This Article

Comments have moved.

Join the conversation and talk about this article and all things Kentucky Sports in the new KSR Message Board.

KSBoard

2026-05-21