Skip to main content

Attorney for Chiefs WR Rashee Rice issues statement after ex-girlfriend files civil lawsuit

Brian Jones Profile Picby: Brian Jones02/18/26brianjones_93

The attorney for Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Rashee Rice is speaking out on the civil lawsuit filed by his ex-girlfriend. In a statement issued to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Sean Lindsey said Rice’s ex-girlfriend Daoda Jones claimed that Rice didn’t “punch” her during a verbal altercation last year.

“On October 9, 2025, well after the parties’ relationship had ended, Ms. Jones stated under penalty of perjury in a sworn Affidavit for Non-Prosecution that ‘Mr. Rice and I had a verbal argument, but he did not punch me,'” Lindsey said. “We will allow the legal process to run its course and have no further comments at this time.”

Jones filed a civil lawsuit in Texas, alleging that Rashee Rice assaulted her during an 18-month span from 2023 to 2025. She alleges that Rice strangled her in December 2023 and exhibited a history of abusive behavior throughout their relationship until July of last year. Jones, who said she was pregnant during many of the alleged assaults, is seeking over $1 million.

More on the Rashee Rice civil lawsuit

In a since-deleted Instagram post, Jones wrote (per ESPN), “I’m so tired of keeping quiet I’m so tired of protecting his image. I’ve been through too much in a span of 8 years and I’ve had ENOUGH!” She also shared photos of the alleged abuse, displaying bruising on her legs, chest and lip, and scratches on her face and shoulders.

“The club is aware [of the lawsuit] and remains in communication with the National Football League,” the Chiefs said in a statement Wednesday. The NFL said it would investigate the woman’s claims after she shared the allegations.

This is not the first time Rice has been in trouble with the law. Last year, the SMU alum pleaded guilty to felony collision involving serious bodily injury and racing on a highway, causing bodily injury, for his role in a multicar crash in Dallas in May 2024. He was sentenced to 30 days in jail and five years’ probation, along with an order to pay $115,000 in restitution to the victims. The NFL then suspended Rice six games last season for violating the league’s personal conduct policy. Rice played in eight games and finished the 2025 season with 53 receptions for 571 yards and five touchdowns.