Skip to main content

Tom Izzo reacts to Charles Bediako eligibility case, calls out college landscape: 'Utterly ridiculous'

ns_headshot_2024-clearby: Nick Schultz01/23/26NickSchultz_7

After spending parts of three seasons in the NBA G-League, Charles Bediako received immediate eligibility this week via a judge’s order. He will be able to play for Alabama on Saturday against Tennessee while awaiting a hearing for a preliminary injunction, according to a 10-day temporary restraining order.

The reaction continues to come in from around the college basketball world. That includes from Michigan State coach Tom Izzo, who again criticized the current landscape after the latest eligibility ruling.

SUBSCRIBE to the On3 NIL and Sports Business Newsletter

Izzo echoed a similar sentiment to his response to former NBA Draft pick James Nnaji’s eligibility, which came down last month. Like Nnaji, Bediako also played in the G-League since declaring for the 2023 draft out of Alabama, but he signed a two-way contract with the Spurs that year.

Speaking with reporters Thursday, Izzo said he doesn’t necessarily follow these cases closely. However, he aptly summed up his thoughts on the situation.

“I just get mad,” Izzo said Thursday. “I don’t follow it to worry about the cases. It’s pretty evident that I have no say, the coaches have no say. And coaches are doing what they want to do. I get a kick out of it, though. Some of them are coaches that are calling and complaining a year ago about it. But hey, when in Rome, do like the Romans, I guess. That’s the way it is.

“I think that one supersedes the other jokes, the way it went. And I recruited Bediako, so I know. Not biting on that one. Not that you’re doing it to bite on it. Utterly ridiculous, and yet, we have judges now doing it, we have Congress not jumping in, we have the NCAA with no say. It’s the Wild, Wild West. So be prepared for anything.”

Tom Izzo: ‘I’m just going to keep my guys’

Bediako went undrafted in the 2023 NBA Draft and played in the G-League, most recently as Jan. 17 for the Motor City Cruise. He filed suit against the NCAA regarding his college eligibility, and a judge granted a TRO this week. The order is in effect for 10 days while Bediako awaits a preliminary injunction hearing. Bediako also enrolled at Alabama for spring semester to finish his degree.

To Tom Izzo, though, his focus is on his team. That includes retention when the transfer portal opens, which will now be after the national championship. Last year’s window opened after the Round of 32.

“I’m just going to keep my guys,” Izzo said. “I’m going to keep being different. I’m going to keep my guys. I’m going to the transfer portal for sure in the spring. I’m going right to my locker room. I’m going to try to keep every frickin’ player I’ve got. How’s that?”