Skip to main content

Kenny Dillingham confirms Michigan never offered him head coach job: 'It never got to that point'

ns_headshot_2024-clearby: Nick Schultz12/20/25NickSchultz_7

After signing a new contract at Arizona State, Kenny Dillingham said he never received an offer from Michigan to be its next head coach. He also made it clear the amount of respect he has for the Wolverines program.

Dillingham’s name was front-and-center in Michigan’s search to replace Sherrone Moore after his firing for cause last week. However, he’s preparing to stay in Tempe after signing a new deal with an average salary of $7.5 million, On3’s Pete Nakos reported. The staff salary pool is also up to $11 million, which is among the top in the Big 12.

As Michigan made its pursuit, Dillingham said he never got an offer for the job. That said, he made it clear the opportunity UM presents given its investment and the amount of talent on the roster.

“I think every time these things open, my agent, everybody talks to everybody,” Dillingham told reporters. “That’s how that process works from that perspective. But for me, I never got offered a job. None of that ever, ever happened, and it never got to that point. Michigan’s an unbelievable job with unlimited resources, with people who will do whatever they can to make it successful, who want to see it succeed.

“Somebody’s going to get an unbelievable opportunity … to take over one of the best programs in the country, who are resourced as one of the best programs in the country with one of the best rosters in the country. I’ve got nothing but respect for them. I’ve got a couple family members and my wife’s best friend all went to Michigan. So I have nothing but respect. I know they’ll find somebody who’s unbelievable.”

Kenny Dillingham has engineered an impressive turnaround at Arizona State since taking over at his alma mater in 2023. The Sun Devils went from a 3-9 record in his first season to 11-3 in 2024, winning the Big 12 title and punching their ticket to the College Football Playoff. ASU went 8-4 this past season as injuries mounted.

Now, Michigan’s search is moving on after Dillingham’s new contract and Alabama’s victory in the College Football Playoff against Oklahoma on Friday. That means Kalen DeBoer’s name is likely no longer in the mix. On3’s Pete Nakos had more details on where the Wolverines’ search goes from here, including some names to watch after the latest developments.