Booger McFarland applauds Dabo Swinney for exposing Ole Miss tampering: ‘Good for him’
On Thursday, former California linebacker Luke Ferrelli flipped his transfer commitment from Clemson to Ole Miss. Just 24 hours later, Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney held a press conference, where he accused Ole Miss of tampering.
However, the 56-year-old head coach didn’t enter the situation unprepared. Instead, Swinney loosed an uninterrupted 19-minute, in which he included a detailed timeline of Ferrelli’s controversial transfer situation.
While some fans called out Swinney for airing his grievances in such a public manner, others praised the two-time national champion. ESPN’s Booger McFarland praised Swinney for providing such an in-depth explanation of the events that occurred.
“Gotta say Dabo giving unprecedented details here. Good for him. I’m sure there are so many stories like this,” McFarland wrote on X. “Wow just wow.”
Swinney said Ferrelli verbally committed to Clemson on Jan. 6 and officially signed his financial aid agreement with the program. Swinney alleged that Clemson general manager Jordan Sorrells received a call one week later from Ferrelli’s agent.
The agent informed Sorrells that Ole Miss had been “coming hard” after Ferrelli. Swinney advised Sorrells to reach out to Ole Miss general manager Austin Thomas.
Swinney said he was attempting to be gracious to new Ole Miss head coach Pete Golding, who the program promoted on Nov. 30. Thomas allegedly said he wanted no part of the dispute, but “Pete Golding just does what he does.”
- 1

Ed Orgeron returns to LSU on Lane Kiffin's staff
- 2

Judge recused in Brendan Sorsby eligibility case
- 3
NewAhmad Hardy speaks on rehab, Mizzou return after shooting
- 4

Lane Kiffin reveals NFL-like 'fine system' for players
- 5

Bryce Underwood back for Round 2
Get the On3 Top 10 Newsletter in your inbox every morning
By clicking "Subscribe to Newsletter", I agree to On3's Privacy Notice, Terms, and use of my personal information described therein.
Swinney claimed Golding texted Ferrelli on Jan. 14, “I know you’re signed. What’s the buyout?” Golding also allegedly sent Ferrelli a picture of a $1 million contract. On Jan. 16, Ferrelli reportedly reached out to Clemson linebackers coach Ben Boulware and told him Ole Miss had doubled its offer.
On Jan. 16, Ferrelli was reported in the Clemson compliance office and requesting to re-enter the transfer portal. Sorrells and Clemson defensive coordinator Tom Allen allegedly drove to Ferrelli’s apartment.
Dabo Swinney said Ferrelli was in the parking lot when the pair arrived and he told he was going to Ole Miss. Swinney said he received a call from Ferrelli, who informed him of his decision as well. Swinney provided not only the dates, but times for all of the events listed above.
Clemson reported Ole Miss to the NCAA for tampering. Additionally, Swinney said he spoke with ACC commissioner Jim Phillips, who reached out to SEC commissioner Greg Sankey.
“I am not going to let someone flat out tamper with my program,” Swinney said. “If you tamper with my players, I’m going to turn you in. There’s a lot more I can say, but I’m going to let the NCAA do its job.”